Modeling Ant using Dust3D¶
Prepare Reference Sheet¶
You can start modeling without any reference, however, if you model on top of a turnaround reference sheet, the final result would be better, it also ease the progress of modeling. The recommended features for reference sheet in Dust3D:
- Only one image, but include at least two profiles in the image, one for front view, one for side view. And align horizontally with the same height.
- Image size less than 1MB. Because if you save the document, the reference image will also be included in the .ds3 file.
- No blur filter, make a clean sheet, Dust3D will blur it for you when you load the image.
The above reference is a good example. The raw picture comes from https://www.antweb.org/bigPicture.do?name=casent0103346&shot=d&number=1 Composed in GIMP.
Modeling in Dust3D¶
- Load Reference Sheet from Menu: File > Change Turnaround…
- Click Plus(+) Icon from Tool Box
- Place node on the canvas acording to the reference background.
- Use Mouse Wheel to Adjust the radius of the node, hold shift to slow down the scroll scale.
- Use the Parts List panel to toggle the settings to make you easily select or see nodes.
- Use Mouse Middle button pluse Shift key to rotate and move around the Rendered Model.
After finished modeling, Export the result mesh from Menu: File > Export… Only supports Wavefront(.obj) format in the current stage.
You can download all the resources including the full Dust3D Document from the following links.